Tue, Jul 18|
Book Study ~ At Peace: Choosing a Good Death After a Long Life, by Samuel Harrington, MD
Join Laura for a six-week book study beginning in June.
Time and Location
Jul 18, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
Grand Rapids, 1025 3 Mile Rd NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49505, USA
About the Event
Starting Tuesday, June 6, 2023, join us for a six-week book study of At Peace: Choosing a Good Death After a Long Life by Samuel Harrington, MD. We will meet in the St. Andrews Episcopal Church's lounge from 7:00 - 8:30 pm (no meeting July 4). Discussions will be facilitated by Laura Hoekstra, St. Andrews member and End-of-Life Doula.
At Peace outlines specific active and passive steps that older patients and their health-care proxies can take to ensure loved ones live their last days comfortably at home and/or in hospice when further aggressive care is inappropriate.
Through Dr. Harrington's own experience with the aging and deaths of his parents and of working with patients, he describes:
- The terminal patterns of the six most common chronic diseases
- How to recognize a terminal diagnosis even when the doctor is not clear about it
- How to have the hard conversation about end-of-life wishes
- How to minimize painful treatments
- When to seek hospice care
- How to deal with dementia and other special issues
Questions? Contact Laura Hoekstra by phone at 616.286.1895 or via email at email@example.com.
We hope you will join us!